CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing both landlords and tenants in residential and commercial property disputes.
71563194

My hot water tank went out 5 days ago and have no hot water,

Customer Question

my hot water tank went out 5 days ago and have no hot water, we have contacted the landlord and he says a part is on back order. what can I do?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
It depends on what state you are in.Failure to provide hot water is a "habitability issue" and different states have different remedies, see: http://www.landlord.com/state-habitability-statutes-by-state.htm.One thing that all tenants should do in these circumstances is start documenting their communications with their landlords. Many tenants rely on phone calls (which are quick and convenient) but fail to make a clear document trail. Ensure that you follow up with "confirmation letters" that summarize your phone calls and conversations - this can both help to motivate your landlord to actually get you your water heater installed - you shouldn't be without hot water for more than a couple of days - and can be used as evidence to support your version of events in the event that you are forced to litigate this matter.Confirmation letters: Keep written records of all communications - so if you speak to someone by phone, promptly send a follow up "confirmation letter" summarizing your conversation, who you spoke to, when, and any agreements you reached. Keep copies of your outgoing correspondence, as well as anything that you receive.