barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney over 16 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

I moved in on 8-15-2013 2 year lease and now landlord

Customer Question

I moved in on 8-15-2013 for a 2 year lease and now landlord said I have pay until 9-2015 15 days more than my 2 year term
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
.
What does you actual written lease state that the expiration date of the lease is?
.
What state is this in?
.
Did you pay a prorated amount of rent from 8/15-8/31 when you moved in or did you pay a full month's rent?
.
.
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
8-15-2015 and it was scratch out and in its place was 8=31=2015 there initials only on it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
florida
Ok, did you actually initial the change in the term or was it just the landlord's initials that are on the scratched out portion?
.
.
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
prorated and only theres
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you there
Did you initial the change in the term of the lease or was it just the landlord's initials?
.
.
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just landlord
Ok, then the modification is completely unenforceable. In order for a change to be legally binding like this, both parties have to sign or initial the change indicating that they have accepted it.
.
So if the original lease states it ends 8/15, then that is when it ends and the landlord can't charge you for any additional term.
.
As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...
.
.
thanks