Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

My landlord asked me to leave my apartment that i have

Customer Question

hello, my landlord asked me to leave my apartment that i have ben living in for over a year. recently i feel asleep with top ramen on and the house became smokey. my windows were open so the neighbors noticed and decided to call the fire department. the fire department cut my room blinds and also put a hole in my wall and broke my front door. the landlord stated that i am responsible for the damages , which i have no problem with. after she had the maintenece guy come out she sent me a letter stating i have 60 days to leave the premises, pay my rent, and damages. what are my rights as a tenant considering there was no smoke damage or fire damage to the apartment? and what could i do?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Do you have a written lease? Or are you a month to month tenant?