insearchoftheanswer
insearchoftheanswer, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer; developer/owner of RE developments.
17027240

I done electrical work tenant who said it was already

Customer Question

I done electrical work for a tenant who said it was already cleared with the landlord. well, after finishing job and many weeks later still no payment. is the landlord or tenant , which moved out recently, obligated to pay ?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  insearchoftheanswer replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.
Can you provide me a bit more information? How much money is owed you? Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1375.00, the job was to remove and replace a breaker box due to overloading. the main breaker had burnt the back of the breaker box causing all electrical power to shut off. also had to balance electrical load evenly on each leg to prevent this overloading from happening again. and had to do exrtra's to ensure the new breaker box would have proper grounding.
Good morning and thank for following up. What you want to do in this situation is to name them both as defendants in your suit and let the court allocate responsibility between them. Because of the amount you can file suit in small claims court without a lawyer. You can find the instructions and guidelines at this link: http://oklaw.org/resource/small-claims-court . Filing the suit will give you the collection options and leverage you need to collect the debt owed you. That's because once the suit is filed and a judgment awarded, you become a judgment creditor, and if he doesn’t then pay the judgment, you can have the sheriff serve a summons on him for a debtor examination. That forces him to meet you in court again and answer questions under oath about his assets. After that information is obtained, you have the power to garnish wages, attach bank accounts, have the sheriff seize other personal property, and/or place liens on any non-homestead property he owns to satisfy the judgment. In my experience, simply filing the suit is typically all you need to do to resolve this outside of court because most of the time, once served with a summons one is being sued, either or both of these parties will want to settle out of court to avoid the judgment being on the record and the extra costs and time of defending the suit.
Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!