Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.
10285032

The landlord doesn't mention in lease about how often thy paint,

Customer Question

The landlord doesn't mention in lease about how often thy paint, and they claim they do not have to put new carpet in ranch style 3bedroom home. When mention to landlord they said that they will only paint one of the dirty walls in the rooms, and all the walls in kitchen except ceiling and baseboards. I've lived here for 3 years and the ceiling was leaking in the dinning room where it left yellow stains on ceiling, now it's been 3 years I've been here and now the leak stains are in the kitchen as well they, painted the stains grey on an all white ceiling and is saying there is nothing they can do. If they never put new carpet through the house which had rust stains on it when I moved in. Since I moved in my grand kids got red stain on carpet in their room, I tried to clean it with bleach, now there is a small bleach stain on carpet. I ask them if I help pay half the price on new carpet can i get new carpet, they said yes if I pay half, and they do not have enough money to paint the inside of the whole house. The rent has gone up $120.00 dollars each year since i've been here. Do I have a right to have new carpet along with painting the entire house?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Legally, there is no law mandating the landlord do anything than repairs to make the premises habitable. If the carpet is not making the premises uninhabitable then the landlord does not have to replace it. The same goes for the walls. The only thing the tenant can do is that they can negotiate with the landlord to allow the tenant to make the replacement or to paint the walls. It is wholly up to the landlord as to whether or not to allow the renovations that do not impair the habitability.

The tenant does not have a right under the landlord tenant laws to insist on improvements or renovations, they can only insist on repairs required to make the home habitable.