Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney
7286322

I was living in this about years my mother worked in

Customer Question

I was living in this about for two years my mother worked in Boston . For that amount of time they was dealing total with me. My mother sign a paper saying she was moving out they took her to court. . Can the landlord make me move too or does she have to take me to court because my name was on the lease too
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; (B) If you receive a phone call offer while we chat, know that this is an automated test feature the site is running. Due to possible ethical issues, the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I normally decline them. Unless the phone call offer you receive literally states "THIS OFFER IS FROM ELY" (which means I personally initiated it), please do not entertain any such offer; and (C) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
I am sorry to hear about this situation. Can you please confirm: Your mother is the only authorized tenant on the lease - correct?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
You have not responded to my information request and I have to log off soon, so I am going to answer this based on the information I do have.
Provided that the same amount of rent is being paid by someone in your situation even though your mother had moved out, then the landlord should not be able to evict you since you did not breach the lease and did not move out, and continue to be paying the rent agreed. HOWEVER NOTE that unless the lease specifically lowers the rent if one of you moves out, you would still be liable for the entire amount.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.