Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I have been served eviction papers and although I have come

Customer Question

I have been served eviction papers and although I have come up with the total $2500 or so owed, when lawyer fees, court costs, etc. are added the total is a whopping $6800 which I do not have. Any options? Ideas for help?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard. While landlords in some cases may be allowed to charge late fees, surcharges for air conditioners and washing machines, and legal fees, you can object to any non-rent charges being part of a non-payment of rent case or judgment. Many tenants unknowingly agree to these charges being included in a settlement or judgment.I suggest that you write the LL a letter stating you have the amount of the rent that is due and request to make arrangements so you can pay.If you have a court date for the eviction coming up, you can wait until the hearing and then present the money for the Unpaid Rent ONLY and explain to the court you cannot afford the added on attorney fees. Ask the court to allow you to arrange payment with the attorneys in this regard. The attorneys will need to sue you for what is owed separately.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Please note that I can only provide information for what you ask. In that regard, if you have other questions or need clarification, please let me know here. Otherwise, I would appreciate a Positive Rating as that is how I get credit for my time.​Thank you