Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed in multiple jurisdictions. Experienced Landlord-Tenant attorney.
18572087

I've been to court eviction hearing. I was given 20

Customer Question

I've been to court for my eviction hearing. I was given 20 days to vacate the apt. The moving process has proven difficult, and I'd like to ask for 1 more month. Other factors are needing surgery on my foot and some recent mental health problems. Is it possible to ask for more time at this stage of the eviction? If so, how do I go about it?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
I am genuinely sorry to hear that you find yourself in this situation. As far as asking for more time, this is no longer up to the courts since they do not have to amend their order (as there is no basis to do so), but purely up to the landlord. If the landlord agrees to give you more time, then you can stay, but if there is already an order in place demanding you vacate, short of filing for an appeal (if you still have time to do so, and have reasonable grounds to do so...not that you have special needs but that the eviction itself was improper), the court does not have to grant you more time. I wish I had a better answer for you, but the court does not have to grant you further time at this point of the process.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.