Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Experience representing landlords and tenants.
11313492

My son leased his first apartment. It had in there a line item

Customer Question

My son leased his first apartment. It had in there a line item that the apartment had mold issues. He now stays quite sick all the time because of I think. Do we have any legal leg to stand on to get out of the lease. He is starting to miss work because of it.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
Has he asked the landlord to break the lease?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, not yet.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
Tenant may cancel lease. Mold is a serious breach.
Landlord has failed to provide habitable premises.
Tenant may also recover rent paid and any resulting medical expenses relating to mold exposure.
You have a few options. Let me outline them. You can pursue a complaint in civil court. You may sue for losses suffered plus costs and interest. You can also file a complaint with the attorney general office. You can threaten these options before pursuing and use for leverage. local counsel can also get involved!
martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. Good luck. Kindly rate the answer OK or higher.