Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 30 years of experience representing landlords and tenants.
17897874

I have a commercial lease that was up the end of September

Customer Question

I have a commercial lease that was up the end of September I was unable to make it because of the economy I Continued to pay April and May Rent my landord rented the space at a much high rent for July he started doing construction in the space June 17th which I assumed he had taken possession of the space now he is telling me I owe June Rent..I have a security deposit plus he owes me interest on 11 years what should i do?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.
The landlord can not re-enter the space to prepare for a new tenant and still charge you rent.
You should sue the landlord in small claims court, if within the jurisdictional limits, for the return of your security deposit and any other money you are owed.
I hope this is helpful. If you have any follow up questions feel free to post them. It is never a problem.
Thank you.