Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

We are breaking our lease early and trying to find suitable

Customer Question

We are breaking our lease early and trying to find suitable replacement tenants for the owners. We have been showing house and taking applications, however the owners seem to not be doing their part in trying to find tenants as well. They been vague and on vacation and seems like no sense of urgency to help even though they say they are working with us. I'm trying to get applications to the owner and haven't heard response from them yet. So I guess my question is, if we have found 3 potential tenants eager and willing to move in are we still liable to pay remaining term of lease or are we off the hook? We live in California and I also mentioned civil code 1951.2 to them.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
By 'potential' tenants, are they valid tenants that the landlords checked, such as ensuring that they have adequate credit or that they have funds to sign the contract? Please advise!