RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

I live in a townhome and I want to move out. The property management

Customer Question

I live in a townhome and I want to move out. The property management wants me to have the carpets professionally cleaned (i do understand) though my neighbor told me that I shouldnt have to because the carpet has been in the unit for over 7 years. Is this true?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.As a tenant, upon move-out, you have the responsibility to leave the home in the same condition it was at move-in. Typically, that means the home is left clean and ready for the next occupant. If the carpets were professionally cleaned when you moved in, you should do the same at move-out. However, if they weren't, and they were just vacuumed, for example, you only need to do the same. As for the landlord, they cannot charge you for normal wear and tear. So, you would expect that 7 year old carpets would have some staining and be a little worn perhaps -they couldn't demand that you pay for new carpet just because you walked on it. Also, if the carpets were already stained when you moved in and didn't come clean after you had them cleaned, that's not on you - that's normal wear and tear.