Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

I reside in an apartment in Indiana. What are Tenant's rights

Customer Question

I reside in an apartment in Indiana. What are Tenant's rights to privacy while I sleep. My lanlord/management notifies with my statement does monthly "maintenance inspections". I have informed management from the beginning (verbally and in writing) that I work night shift and sleep days. Last week I was startled awake after only 3 hrs sleep knock on door, I jumped out of bed to hear a key in lock, saw the door open and a man announce "maintenance". I feel it is an intrusion of my right to privacy while I sleep and ability to feel safe in my premises. What recourse do I have? I don't want to move.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.
Before I answer a bit more detail would be helpful please.
Do you have a written lease? Is there a provision regarding landlord access?
If so, what does it allow?
Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot continue this. I am exhausted from work and don't have the energy to re-read my lease (at this time). Need to sleep now. I do so appreciate your willingness. No more answer. No more work on your part. But I must cancel this transaction now. A good faith payment of $5 is ok. But I cancel any further deduction of money from my account. I do not accept this offer. I do not want to participate in monthly payments. Please cancel and no answer needed. Thank you for your time.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
I have opted out. No need to reply to this message.