CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing both landlords and tenants in residential and commercial property disputes.
71563194

Can you help me to get out of an extention lease of 2 extra

Customer Question

can you help me to get out of an extention lease of 2 extra months . I signed the lease 3 days before I found out that we were accepted on a house bid we made.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, if you signed a lease extension for 2 months it is going to be difficult to get out of unless your landlord agrees to it. The best way to deal with this is to contact the landlord directly and ask them to release you from the extension, some landlords are willing to do this.If they are - make sure to get it in writing (either directly from them, or by writing them a "confirmation letter" summarizing your conversation and the agreement).Short of that, your landlord has an obligation to "mitigate their damages" and must make reasonable efforts to re-lease the unit - so they should be trying to rent the unit to a new tenant. You are only responsible for the rent until the end of the lease term (the end of the 2 months), or until a new tenant takes possession - whichever comes first.