Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Experience representing landlords and tenants.
11313492

We are purchasing a home, an reo and the tenant has a life

Customer Question

we are purchasing a home, an reo and the tenant has a life lease from the original borrower. the house is destroyed. How do we get them out without waiting 90 days? they have also claimed they are taking the doors and hot water heater. How do I protect my investment from further damage? Isnt the lease void since the property went to foreclosure and they are not making rent payments?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
If not making rent payments you may move to evict by court action. You may seek practically to negotiate a settlement. Often tenant would vacate immediately or by date certain in exchange for waiver of back rent and/or help with moving/relocation expenses.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is this NJ law? I don't understand how the lease is even valid anymore. they have not maintained the house per the lease and they are not making payments, or the bank would not have foreclosed. They don't seem to want to leave, and have already stated they were taking the doors and hot water heater, among other things. How is this possible? they don't own the house, and never did.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
The lease is void, but they have possession. You cannot use self help so need to get a court order, or their consent.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
I tried to expedite your question. kindly click on a rating of OK or higher for the answer.