Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed in multiple jurisdictions. Experienced Landlord-Tenant attorney.
18572087

My neighbor behind our house has hooked a spotlight on our

Customer Question

My neighbor behind our house has hooked a spotlight on our backyard , because we have a pool and a tv in the backyard. This started last summer and her husband came over and said he works out of town and she needs to be in bed by 8:30 every night. We are not loud. My neighbors next door said they never here us. So when I get home from work I watch tv outside and have the volume on 5, there is no way she can here this, I have respected there issues. And once again the light is on, right on my upstairs bedroom window, so I cannot go to sleep, my husband doesn't want any trouble! What can we do? I was going to call the police about the light, but my husband doesn't want any trouble, I have every right to be in my backyard.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
Just to be clear, they are intentionally shining a spotlight right onto your yard? And there is no entrance or other walkway there, this is just to annoy you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My husband says if we call the police it will just get worse.
Hi, While your spouse may not want to cause a ruckus, you are both entitled to 'quiet enjoyment' of the premises, and intentional and unreasonable annoyance is almost a direct legal definition of 'harassment'. As such you can send the neighbor a polite 'cease and desist' letter as far as the light goes, and then contact the police to file a harassment complaint. If it still does not stop, you can take the neighbor to court alleging 'private nuisance' (which is an unreasonable interference with the property right of an another) and harassment. As part of your complaint you can seek both damages and 'injunctive relief', specifically requesting that the light be ordered removed or pointed elsewhere. Sincerely, ***** ***** PS. I cannot tell you whether or not to pursue it, but this is what you can do to get it resolved in your favor.