Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

I went to pay my rent may 15th (it was late) I knew my lease

Customer Question

I went to pay my rent may 15th (it was late) I knew my lease was nearly up and when I asked about it I discovered it had expired april 30th. my rent was $1124. I had to pay late fees $100 on the second day plus $20 dollars a day. In addition to this I was charged a$250 month-to month fee. Total rent paid was $1824. I informed the management company that I had intended to renew my lease, I was informed of the terms of the new lease ($1175/mo with a 4 day grace period and a maximum late fee of $125) I was told the new lease would be emailed. I never received the new lease and I am again expected to pay the month-to-month charges in addition to the late fees. $100 on the second day ect.
this hardly seems fair since they are the ones who failed to provide the new lease. what can I do
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
If I may ask, in what state are you leasing? Is this a private residence or is this under some sort of a governmental program such as Section 8 or HUD?