Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney
26798026

I am being evicted and have a hearing tomorrow to determine

Customer Question

I am being evicted and have a hearing tomorrow to determine rent owed.There were two different amounts stated. The hearing is at 9:00 A.M. yet I won't have the bank check until 4:00. Will a judge normally give me those few hours to pay. It would be a complete hardship if I have to move at this point.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm very sorry to hear about your situation.
Usually, the judge will not give a tenant any more time to pay to avoid eviction. The hearing is a firm deadline. The problem is, so many people walk in saying "I have the money soon," that, unless the judge actually sees a check, a promise to pay later usually isn't enough.
You can ask, and you can state the reasons that moving is a hardship, but it would be much much better to secure the check day if there is any way to make that happen. Otherwise, there's a high probability that you'll be evicted.
I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.
Good luck.