Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.
10285032

Is a landlord responsible to provide outside lighting..and

Customer Question

Is a landlord responsible to provide outside lighting..and have a separate electrical meter box?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Where are you located?
You are also asking if the landlord has to provide outdoor lighting and pay to clear snow?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My parking area is 200 feet from my home..the house is in a very rural and dark woodsy area..also I have been paying for haet tape ..it is used to melt the ice and snow build up on the roof...shouldn't the landlord be paying for that and if so,,can you direct me to the New York state law that pertains to that statue..thanks
Thank you for your reply.
There is no NY landlord tenant statute stating that the landlord must provide outside lighting or a separate meter for the lighting and heat strips. The landlord tenant law in NY only says the landlord must provide a habitable premises (See: NY RPP 235-b: http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/nycode/RPP/7/235-b).
The landlord can make the tenant liable for lighting and snow removal and maintenance of the property and there is no law for a separate meter on a rural home I am afraid.