Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed in multiple jurisdictions. Experienced Landlord-Tenant attorney.
18572087

My son is in a month to month lease in Santa Rosa. One of

Customer Question

My son is in a month to month lease in Santa Rosa. One of the clauses in the lease is that the landlord can request that he vacate the rental room on some weekends if the landlord has a party or similar. Is this legal to put in a lease contract? It puts my son at a disadvantage where he has to find an alternative place to live on some weekends?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
No, this is not a legal clause. If your son is renting the unit, he is entitled to a continuous use, and he cannot be put out UNLESS and only unless the landlord can either obtain equivalent housing for him, or pay for housing elsewhere. So no, your son has no duty to honor those terms and can remain on premises.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.