Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney
26798026

My former tenant won't give me her new address so I can return

Customer Question

My former tenant won't give me her new address so I can return her security deposit. We had a contentious relationship. I am assuming she wants me to miss the 30 day deadline so she can sue me for triple damages. What can I do to protect myself
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.
First, hold onto those texts. If you do wind up in court, they could come in handy.
Second, the security deposit need only be send to the last known address. It's the tenant's responsibility to set up mail forwarding with the post office. If you send it to the rental property because she won't give you any other address, you have met your obligations under the statute. Plus, if it's returned, you'll have evidence that you sent it in the way of the postmark (don't open the envelope if it's returned).
Another option is to ask, again via text or email (so there's a record of the conversation) if she will meet you somewhere so you can hand her the check, depending on how close you are to the property.
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I send it certified mail mail return receipt, It is too far away to meet in person and she has threatened me in the past
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Certified mail won't get forwarded by the post office unless she's paying a fee for that service (which you can't know). Since you know that she doesn't live there, that won't help.