CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing both landlords and tenants in residential and commercial property disputes.
71563194

I lived with someone months he kicked me and my children

Customer Question

hi I lived with someone for 9 months he kicked me and my children out we only had 10 minutes to leave I left because he had loaded guns all over the house. I have been trying to get my possessions back for a year the police even went to his house when he was home and he wouldn't answer the door.
he told me to give him $3000 and I can get my stuff back he says he wants the rent from when I lived there. he gave my rings to two people in hopes thar tge could get the, threethousand dollars for him. now he seemed like he gets a 250 dollar payment in June he is going to get rid of all my stuff is this legal
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he is my ex boyfriend but wsaith my boyfriend at the time
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
Dear Customer, thank you for using our service. I would like to assist you today. Responses may have a short delay for review and research.
I am sorry to learn of this situation.
None of what you stated is legal.
Your remedy is to sue this individual in small claims court for "illegal eviction" and the tort of "conversion" (the civil equivalent of theft). You can find helpful information and forms to help you with your case on the California Court self help site here: http://www.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp.htm.
If you fear imminent threats of violence against you or your children from this person, you can file for a civil restraining order as well, see: http://www.courts.ca.gov/1044.htm.
If you are threatened with immediate threats of harm or violence, please immediately call 9-1-1 for law enforcement.