Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Experience representing landlords and tenants.
11313492

I own a home in the State of GA that I rent out

Customer Question

Hello. I own a home in the State of GA that I rent out through section 8. My lease states that items needing repair are to be reported within 24 hours. I keep a home warranty on this home as well to ensure that things are repaired in a timely manner by
licensed professionals. My current tenant recently reported (last week) that the air was not working. I called the home warranty people the same day to have it repaired. When they called the tenant she told them that the air has not worked since last year
and now they will not cover the service. Now instead of paying a $60 service call it will cost hundreds if not more. The tenant said that she made an effort to have someone repair it but the cost was so much that she can't afford it. Where do I stand? Can
I charge her for this because she violated the lease? Can I legally get air units until I am able to get the system taken care of if it is outside of my budget? I have attached a copy of the lease agreement. She has been in the home since 2012. Thank you.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
You can charge tenant for violating lease and may provide temporary air system until permanent solution can be installed.