Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed in multiple jurisdictions. Experienced Landlord-Tenant attorney.
18572087

If I have a puppy that I was given and told to find new home,

Customer Question

If I have a puppy that I was given and told to find new home, and I didso... and the old owners want it back ....
they go to police....
Are the police allowed to bring the old owners of the puppy to my residence let alone give out the information of the new owners of the puppy?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I am a licensed Pennsylvania professional and will be happy to assist you this afternoon.
If I may ask, was there a contract between you or anything in writing which would show a transfer of ownership?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have text messages stating she wanted me to find a new home for the puppy,,

Rose,
That does not mean that ownership transferred to you--the other owner can claim that you were acting as her 'agent' or 'representative' when looking for a new home for the puppy. As such ownership never transferred to you, you would be seen as a caretaker only. Therefore if the original owner demanded a return, you would have had no choice but to return the puppy since there was no language of transferring ownership rights to you directly. I am sorry!
In that situation this is treated as stolen property (as dogs are property), and yes, the police can inform them as to where you are located and where they can find their property as well.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No I do have words stating that the dogs is to be given to a new home and since I licensed it to the new owner ti then becomes the property of the new owner!

and since the new owner has the said property, I really do not believe the police are allowed to give out my PERSONELL information !!

I really do not think you are understanding the whole situation.

I am a Dog Trainer and Behaviorist so I need to know my laws with regard to Dogs! I am familiar with most of the laws when it comes to the DOGS !!!!

However as far as police coming to my home with the previous owners I do not think that is warranted!!!

I don't agree with what you are saying but thank you for your time.

And I have CYA myself so the police in my eyes were totally wrong in what they did!!!

Rose,
My apologies and you are free to disagree. But your information is not confidential and the police have no duty to keep it private. Plus, until and if they signed off ownership (not just physical control but actual ownership) of the dog, the dog is not yours. A dog given to you overnight is not 'yours', and a dog given to you to find a new home is likewise not 'yours' unless you tell the owners you are adopting him and the owners consent.
Please understand that I am both a dog owner and I likewise rescue them from shelters, so I very much sympathize. But I also owe you a duty to inform you of the law even if not favorable--you are free to disregard it as I am not your attorney, or disagree...but it will not change my answer or the law.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am not talking about the dog, I an talking about the CIVIL SERVANT.

and if he was allowed to do what you say,

what law are you please referring to under the laws of PA DOG LAWS?? I am just looking for answers,

As long as you are telling me the correct laws that is fine it is not that I don't like them I just want to know the law you are referring to??

I understand that the dog is property....

But I do have it that she gave me the dog.. so that part is legal what happened I just want to know the law about him coming to my house that has to be somehow a problem with my civil rights some how ??

believe me I just do not go accepting dogs from people for no reason..

I thank you for adopting them that is wonderful!!!

But I am looking at the fact that the CIVIL SERVANT had attacked or preached my CIVIL RIGHTS!!!

thank you

Thank you for your follow-up, Rose.
My apologies but what exactly do you mean by 'civil rights'? I do not mean to sound insulting but this is a term many use but most have no idea as to what it means.
At its' core 'civil rights' refer to rights of citizens to have the ability to have political discourse, social justice, and equality without discrimination or unequal treatment. I just do not see what civil rights have to do with your situation.
As far as 'dog statutes', not everything is codified. I am unclear as to what law you are seeking a reference to especially this ultimately comes down as a contractual dispute (who owns the property) and not a civil issue. If you have a contract giving you the dog you can go to small claims and sue for 'replevin' (return of your personal property). If you do not have such language, she owns the property and can take it back. Likewise, if your address and phone number can be founds via information directory or the yellow pages or google, it is public record and nobody has to protect it. The civil servant is free to give it out because she does not represent you or your interests, and that information is not protected.
As I stated, this is not a civil rights violation. If you claim this is your property, you can sue to get it back and if the judge sides with you, they will have to return the puppy. But if you have no direct evidence that the dog was gifted to you, they retain ownership and the dog belongs to them.
Please take care and be well, and kindly do not forget to positively rate, thank you!
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.