Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Experience:  Litigation Attorney
84496330

I have a roommate that is not on my lease. My landlord allowed

Customer Question

I have a roommate that is
not on my lease. My landlord allowed my roommate to move in however they would not put him on the lease and stated if it did not work out I have full authority to evict him and they would back me up. I have rented from my landlord for 7yrs and have a wonderful relationship with them.I want my roommate to move out asap! He has been my roommate for 2 yrs however he has not held up to our agreement which was verbal..meaning we were to split rent and utilities. Since he move in he has never contributed to rent and just pay utilities and food (he is on foodstamps) He is a musician and only makes $800 a month. Refuses to look for work because he has a masters in chemistry but has been out of the field for 20yrs and is not update with today standards. Bot***** *****ne is he refuses to look for work that does not pay $20 an hour.He only contributes $450 a month where I have to pay out $1400. He will never change and feels he should not have to contribute any more due to his lack of work. On top of not paying his share he has created stress that I do not need including his temper when I attempt to bring this too his attention. He blows up, throws things at me, name calling…emotional abuse. What measures do I need to take to evict him? I'm confused on Florida's law. Also when he receives my notice he will explode. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I will be answering your question today.
From your question, I am assuming your roommate has a month-to-month oral lease which can be terminated with 15 days written notice.
If he does not to vacate the premises after the 15 day notice, you will need to file an unlawful detainer action to evict him. If it is necessary to file the unlawful detainer, you may download the forms at this link:
http://www.floridabar.org/tfb/TFBConsum.nsf/0a92a6dc28e76ae58525700a005d0d53/a2490d4fa31363a88525771200482bdd!OpenDocument
Please let me know if I have answered your question fully and if my answer is adequate please positively rate my answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was told because his mail comes to my address I have to give 30days notice under Florida Law. Is this true?
No,it makes no difference that mail comes to your house. A month to month lease in the state of Florida only requires 15 days notice. It could be a lease for an independent dwelling as well, it does not matter, 15 days is all the law in Florida requires. For a guide to Florida tenant's rights (see http://www.floridabar.org/tfb/TFBConsum.nsf/0a92a6dc28e76ae58525700a005d0d53/e21a25a8c288bed98525740800537588!OpenDocument#RIGHTS%20AND%20DUTIES%20OF%20TENANTS)
I see that you have viewed my answer. If you do not have any further questions and you feel that I have fully answered your question, please positively rate my answer.
It has been a few days since I provided you a service and answered your question. Do you have any further questions? If not please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated.