Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 30 years of experience representing landlords and tenants.
17897874

I am having a situation. I purchase some furniture from

Customer Question

Hello, I am having a situation. I purchase some furniture from a store in August of 2014. I was contacted in May 2015 stating that I was never charged for the rug that I received. I financed the furniture and paid the bill off in February 2015. Do I have a case ? I feel that I should not have to pay because the transaction happened over six months ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.
Before I answer a bit more detail would be helpful please.
Were you aware that you were not charged for everything purchased?
Were you charged the price in the purchase contract?
Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was not aware that I did not pay for the whole purchase. The problem is, is that when I received the rug it was the wrong rug. I took it back to the store and received the right rug. The rug was discounted from the original price because it was the floor model and it was frayed.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Did the contract reflect the entire price? Do you dispute that you did not pay the agreed price?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I went to the store and my receipt does not match theirs because the rug was discounted. They have sent the price of the rug into collections. The price is $276.99. The problem that I am having is that I never did receive a receipt for the time that I took the wrong rug back into the store.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
I would take the position that you paid what you were charged and they can not prove you did not pay the agreed price.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
The burden of proof is on the seller.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Did you have any further questions? Have I answered your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How do I stop the payment from going into collections and destroying my credit ?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
You dispute their claim in writing. As I said, the burden of proof is on the seller to prove you owe them money.
If they report it to a credit reporting agency you can dispute it in writing and if it is inaccurate the reporting agency is required by law to remove the item.
Best regards.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.