Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.
10285032

I am a missionary in Honduras and signed a contract with a

Customer Question

I am a missionary in Honduras and signed a contract with a property management company to find tenants for my house while I am here. The former tenant damaged the carpeting and was not held accountable. The property management company did not look out for my best interests and I found that out after signing a contract with them in March. I want to get out of my contract with them. The tenant has moved out. The house is empty. They have put my house on a site to have it rented. The tenant stole landscape bricks that I had on the property, ran over the mailbox and the property management company made me pay for fixing it and not the tenant,etc. The contract states something about going to arbitration but I am not sure if I have to do that.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If the property management company did not honor the terms of your contract to protect your interests and did not pursue the tenant for damages or insure the home was being maintained by the tenant, which is what a property management company is supposed to do, then they are in breach of contract.
From what you describe the management company is in breach of contract, which is your basis for you to write a letter to them terminating the contract. You need to list everything they did not do that was a breach of the contract or negligence on their part. Then you need to tell them you tried to reasonably work with them to correct their breach of the contract and they continue to refuse to rectify the problems and as such you consider the contract terminated based on their breach and are considering possible legal action for the damages caused by their negligence.
You need to terminate them and get a new company in there who will properly manage your property and then you can consider suing the old company for their breach of the contract and the damages caused by their negligence.