barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for over 15 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

How long does it take evict a tenant under Nevada law? My girlfriend

Customer Question

How long does it take evict a tenant under Nevada law? My girlfriend was told that the house she was renting was being sold and to be out in 30 days, which was June 1st. She had paid one month security which equates to the amount of the rent. She told them to keep the security as the last month's rent. Therefore, she did not pay this month's rent. She will be out of the house by July 1st. Can they push her earlier than the remainder three weeks? Please advise.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
Is she under a written fixed term lease or is she month to month?
.
When is the rent normally due?
.
.
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is on a month to month.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The rent is normally due on the first of the month.
Ok, have they given her a written 5 day pay or vacate notice?
.
.
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The notice is that if she doesn't pay the last months rent, they can lock her out in five dayd.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The operative term is the courts may not will.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correction is may lock her out. They have yet to say they will.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought it takes 30 days to evict?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Ok, they are simply bluffing because they can't lock her out as that would be considered an illegal eviction and give her grounds to actually sue them.
.
And eviction for late rent starts with a 5 day written notice to pay or vacate. If the tenant doesn't move out or pay within that period, then the landlord has to file a formal eviction action, called an unlawful detainer, in court to get a judgment against the tenant and writ or restitution that would allow the sheriff to physically evict.
.
This will typically take around 2-3 weeks if she files an Answer once they file the UD action.
.
So she can drag it out about a month or so from the time that they give her a 5 day written notice to pay or vacate.
.
,
thanks