LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have handled Real Estate and Landlord Tenant matters for more than two decades.
15277592

I have a tenant that claims he signed and mailed the lease

Customer Question

I have a tenant that claims he signed and mailed the lease amendment which extended the lease for another year. Since I did not receive the amendment, I have decide to make the terms of the lease month to month and list the property for sale as I live in another state. He said I must take him to court to sell my own house...what is my recourse here?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.
1. Are you prepared to give a 30 day notice of termination of tenancy and evict the tenant?
2. When was the end of the lease?
3. What proof does the tenant have that they gave written notice of the option to extend an additional year?
4. What state are you in?
This seems like a very serious situation for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might better suit your needs. If you are interested, I can offer you a phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread. I will make that offer to you after I get this posted to your question thread. All you need do is accept the offer if you would like me to call.
Thanks in advance,
Doug