barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney over 16 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

My mother in law lives in wa state. on thursday of last week

Customer Question

my mother in law lives in wa state. on thursday of last week the sewer backed up in both of her bathrooms and finally yesterday they at least got the feces cleaned out of bathrooms. The shower in 1 bathroom is still compacted with feces and still will not drain. They have not removed the carpet or pad that was soaked with raw sewage, it has now just dried. landlord says that sometime this week they will send out a carpet cleaner. A carpet cleaner will not be able to remove all of the sewage from the carpet and pad. The heater vents are also full of sewage and feces. She is a handicapped elderly woman, that has COPD, and cannot use her arms due to the tendons being destroyed by medications and due to her health, she is unable to walk more than a few feet at a time. She is already on oxygen 24/7 and has to have help to even get dressed. she has been walking sleeping and living in this toxic enviroment for several days, and they are in no hurry to get this taken care of. What are her rights as a tenant of 5 years? What can I do to make them take care of her?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
This would present a very serious danger to her health and would definitely give her legal grounds to stay in a hotel until the entire property is remediated and cleaned so as to ensure that there is no fecal contamination.
.
I would suggest immediately calling the Health Dept or the local Code Enforcement office to come out and inspect the property as they can declare it unfit for human habitation and force the landlord to actually hire professionals to come and cure the problem, not just try to patch it..
.
Further, lots of photos would be very helpful if any of her property has been damaged and the landlord or their insurance refuses to compensate her for any damages.
.
But the primary goal would be to get her out of there and to a hotel/motel so as to not endanger her health due to any contamination by bacteria.
.
.
thanks