Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Attorney experienced in Landlord-Tenant Law.
26296561

My tenant failed to pay the rent and June. On June

Customer Question

My tenant failed to pay the rent for May and June. On June 1, he informed me that he filed bankruptcy (chapter 7). The lease states that I can file dispossession after the 15th of the month if the rent is not paid. Also, it says if the tenant files bankruptcy, the lease will automatically terminated and the eviction can be filed immediately. Do I have the right to evict him at this time? Or is the tenant protected b/c of bankruptcy filing?
Thank you!
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
While I cannot comment on your specific case, generally, the tenant would be protected by an automatic bankruptcy stay and could not be legally evicted, until the bankruptcy court is discharged or dismissed or until the landlord obtain a relief from automatic bankruptcy stay from the bankruptcy court where the tenant filed his case.
I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.
I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!
Do you have any related follow up questions for me?