Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
16823287

If a senior citizen is late sending in the lease renewal form

Customer Question

If a senior citizen is late sending in the lease renewal form to the landlord, are they protected by law in NYC?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.
If you miss the deadline for renewing the lease, which is usually 30, 60, or 90 days prior to expiration of the current term, then, yes, the right to renew can be lost in NYC. This is especially true because the inventory of available apartments for seniors and non-seniors is really tight these days.
As expected, I am not finding any law that would override the lease renewal clause in this respect. Even under the rent stabilization rules, your landlord must mail you a lease renewal 90 to 150 days before your lease expires. If you waited longer than 60 days, the landlord can refuse to renew your lease and could move to evict you after the lease expires.
If you want me to review the lease renewal clause, just upload it here and I will double check it for you.
Please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.
If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place. Also, if you need a refund, just let me know and I will inform JA on your behalf. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR MAVERICK".
Thank you for using Just Answer. Best wishes for 2015!