socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

I recently took a job and was given the keys to the building.

Customer Question

I recently took a job and was given the keys to the building. I was terminated a few days later and asked to return the keys however I could not reasonably do so and said I would mail them the keys. They are now demanding the keys by the end of the day which is also unreasonable to my schedule or they will pursue legal action. On what grounds? And for what reason? Why don't they just change the locks if they are that worried?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.
Hello, The cost of legal action would be more than the cost of changing the locks. They're not going to sue you. They could claim that you have stolen the keys and report the alleged theft to the police/sheriff. But, if you actually put the keys in the mail, then that would prove you do not have the criminal intent to permanently deprive the employer of its property. Which would completely defeat any criminal prosecution. You may want to use certified mail, return receipt requested, so that you can prove you mailed the keys. I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.Thanks again for using justanswer.com!