Legalease
Legalease, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs residential & commercial leasing experience.
20355756

There is a ex room mate that his wife and kids were staying

Customer Question

There is a ex room mate that his wife and kids were staying with us cause they were kicked out of there house. She ended up abandoning all there stuff in our guest house. Then someone broke in and a few things out of that guest house. I amediatly called his wife and told her. Know he is blaming me said I let someone in to take there stuff.he is still locked up but has been calling from a privit number in county jail leaving threatening voice mail and a letter I have that he has sent, he is also herrasing my for fiancé who is also in county jail buy sending a letter to a third party to send to her. Is this herrasment and what should bee done cause I have to stay up at night to protect my family
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.
Hello there -
-
What you are describing in your question above is actually harassment AND it also sounds like there are some threats to physical safety being made here, which is a criminal offense punishable by 1-2 years in jail in and by itself. My suggestions here are as follows:
-
(A) contact your local police department and file a complaint against the person or party who is responsible for these things happening on your property, Give the police everything that you have including any letters that you or your fiance received and any voice mails also. The police should be able to track this down and the person will end up in jail for a while longer because of all of this, trust me on that one.
-
and
-
(B) Just to cover yourselves under the landlord and tenant act regarding abandoned property -- you should send a written letter to the "tenant's" last known address and simply tell the tenant that there is abandoned property that they left behind and you are in no position to store" it any longer and ask that they remove it within thirty days of the letter and if they do not, you will dispose of it as you see fit and as the law allows.
-
I hope that this helps to get you out of the bind you are in. Please let me know if you have more questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating BELOW so that I will be paid for my time. I am paid NOTHING unless you press a positive rating below this ANSWER box. THANK YOU
-
MARY
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.
Hello there --
-
Do you have any additional questions for me on these issues? If not, can you please press a positive rating below so I will receive credit for my time assisting you.
THANK YOU
-
MARY