Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Experience representing landlords and tenants.
11313492

My girlfriend and I moved in together. She broke the lease

Customer Question

My girlfriend and I moved in together. She broke the lease without my consent, I assumed I would take over the lease, now I'm told I have to get out of the apartment. I'm the one who paid all the deposits and paid rent each month. Both our names are on
the lease. We live in Texas. I did not sign anything to break the lease. They are saying notice by 1 is notice by all, according to the Texas Comptroller. And then according to to the lease a clause states that: The lease contract will automatically renew
month to month unless either party gives at least 60 days written notice of termination or intent to move-out.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
what outcome are you seeking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am trying to stay in the apartment without anything coming back on me. I never wanted to break the lease. Is the apartment complex in the right?
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
Is there any rent owing? did you sign the lease?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We both signed the lease. I didn't even realize I was supposed to move out until a few days ago. I never saw the paper she signed to break the lease. I didn't realize in her breaking the lease it would also go for me according to that clause? Which that clause is very Vague.They also say the Texas Comptroller says notice by one is notice by all. My mom is a building manager by corporate offices here in Texas and says she has never heard of that. She says both parties have to sign or its illegal to cancel.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
If current on lease and you didnt agree to break lease, they cannot hold you to it. She lacked authority to do what she attempted to do and as long as rent is being paid, there is no breach.