Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 30 years of experience representing landlords and tenants.
17897874

I just found out that I have an eviction case in my eviction

Customer Question

I just found out that I have an eviction case in my eviction record dating back to 2012. What happened then is I was overseas on an emergency and missed a payment. By the time I was back in the middle of the month, I found both the notice to quit and a summons for a court hearing scheduled for the end of the month. I immediately corrected the situation with the landlord, paid the amount due, late fees and legal fees, and I thought that was the end of it. I made no court appearance and my lease was reinstated.
I am looking to move form this building, so I ran a tenant screen on myself to be safe that's when I found this item in my eviction record. The case type is saying "Civil Dismissal" which is also confusing since I don't know what it means. I am wondering if I could get some color on this situation and if there are any legal options for me
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.
You need not worry about this. You can explain, if it is raised by a prospective landlord that it was a mistake and corrected and dismissed. It should not be held against you. Especially, with a favorable reference from the current landlord.
I hope this is helpful. If you have more follow up questions please let me know. It is never a problem.
Thank you.