Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney
7286322

I would like to break my lease due to my recent lay off, plus

Customer Question

I would like to break my lease due to my recent lay off, plus I've experienced my life being threatened by the tenant who lives below me. Police were called to the scene but both the tenant and I received a written notice of the lease violation. Please assist because I've provided the lease office with my 30 day notice (Moving out June 30th) but they stated unless I pay the 2 month rental penalty, it would be recorded as Abandonment.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:
(A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This is repeated in numerous disclaimers throughout the site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
I am sorry to hear about this situation. Can you please tell me what state this is in?
And I am going to be honest with you right away - chances are that the state law will not allow one to break the lease without penalty here - but I'd like to confirm this, or at least look for a loophole.
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maryland
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
I am afraid this confirms my suspicions.
Breaking a lease in Maryland without penalty is limited to the following four reasons:
1. Military Duty (Civil Relief Act, 50 App. U.S.C.A. §§ 501);
2. Tenant is a victim of domestic violence of sexual assault (See here);
3. Rental unit violates warranty of habitability (Maryland §8-211 et seq); or
4. Landlord is harassing the tenant.
I am afraid that state law simply does not provide a right to break the lease in a case that (1) one's neighbor is threatening you, and/or, (2) due to a financial change in your life.
Unless one can prove that the landlord or one of their agents is somehow involved in the harassment which was initiated by the downstairs neighbor (which would fall under #4), this is simply not an option. I am very sorry.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.