Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 30 years of experience representing landlords and tenants.
17897874

I signed a lease in apt in Lawrence KS with my daughter,

Customer Question

I signed a lease in for an apt in Lawrence KS with my daughter, emailed the lease to the landlord. I never received confirmation they received the lease or they were going to sign it and send it back to me. Two months later we still had not received a sign copy of the lease or conformation that they received it. I email the rental office I sent the lease to and official withdrew my lease and stated I wanted to cancel it and since I never received a copy of the signed lease from them we did not have a binding contract. Am I correct that we did not have a binding contract and I can withdraw the lease? I need to get out of this lease.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.
Yes, your signed lease is an offer to lease the premises under the terms contained in the agreement. Until it is signed by the landlord and returned to you the offer is revocable by the prospective tenant.
I hope this is helpful. If you have more follow up questions please let me know. It is never a problem.
Thank you.