Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney
26798026

ABOUT TO RENEW OUR LEASE ON RENT. NEW MANAGEMENT CONTRACT

Customer Question

ABOUT TO RENEW OUR LEASE ON RENT. NEW MANAGEMENT CONTRACT STATES WE MUST HAVE RENTERS INSURANCE WHICH WE DONT DESIRE. CAN I REFUSE THIS REQUEST AND STILL AVOID EVICYION. HAVE NEVER BEEN LATE ON ANT BALANCES
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
When a lease is up, I'm sorry to say, the landlord is allowed to set conditions for the lease renewal. Your option as tenants is to accept the conditions and stay or reject them and move. If you accept a new lease that requires renter's insurance, and do not get it, the landlord can have you evicted for violating the agreement.
In an eviction case, the judge can only consider the facts that brought you into the courtroom. He's not allowed to let someone stay because they were always a good tenant before the issues arose, or because they always paid rent, if the reason they're in court isn't about unpaid rent. If you refuse to get the insurance, you'll unfortunately have to move.
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.