barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for over 15 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

Can a landlord refuse to rent to us if we've had bed bugs?

Customer Question

Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
Legally yes because that isn't something that puts you in a protected class so that you couldn't be discriminated against. It is different than someone who had children, for example, and the landlord says he won't rent to someone with children. That is illegal discrimination. But if the landlord refused to rent to someone because they have had bedbugs in the past, that would still be discrimination, but it wouldn't be illegal discrimination that is protected under the law.
.
So to answer your question directly, yes a landlord could refuse to rent to someone if they have had bedbugs.
.
.
thanks