Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 30 years of experience representing landlords and tenants.
17897874

Landlord said tenant didn't put a work order in soon enough

Customer Question

Landlord said tenant didn't put a work order in soon enough for a leak in the bathroom and it
did major damage to both tenants unit and the apartment downstairs. That was more than 6 months ago and the landlord still says there will be a bill but none has been issued. Recently,
the landlord said that there was a downstairs apartment available and that she had a new
tenant who wanted an upstairs unit. Landlord said tenant had 10 days to move if tenant
wanted downstairs apartment. Due to time constraints, tenant didn't clean apartment and is
being charged $700+ for clean-up. Tenant did offer to do cleaning after the move but landlord said it wasn't a big deal and that she would have it taken care of. Evidently, it was a
big deal. Can landlord continue to say a bill is coming after all these months for upstairs leak
and is tenant libel for $700 so that landlord could move new tenant in so landlord could rent sooner?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Good day. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you today.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
The tenant is liable for damages beyond reasonable wear and tear and has until the expiration of the statute of limitations to bill the tenant and sue if unpaid.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
The claim regarding the leak hinges on negligence. So, the question is when did the tenant know of the leak (or when should he or she have been aware of it) and how long until a report was made. In other words, the landlord can be forced to prove the tenant's negligence in court.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Are you online with me?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
You can also force the landlord to prove in court that the $700 was for damage, not just cleaning up.