LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have handled Real Estate and Landlord Tenant matters for more than two decades.
15277592

I have lived in the same historic house in Monterey, CA for

Customer Question

I have lived in the same historic house in Monterey, CA for 12 years. My ex and I have done much to make a dump livable; he even put in a new bathroom for free. My landlord loves my now ex. But this ex divorced me three years after I had cancer. The lanlord hates me because I require now a handiman. (I even had to hire installers for a dishwasher and that is installed wrong my ex says). There has been minimal upkeep for 12 years; no routine maintenance of heater, stove, fridge or any other things unless it is serious like a sewage overflow or a roof leak. Anyway, I have NEVER missed a payment but this spring I was throwing up and falling day for days on end. As I am legally disabled and on a special genetic diet, my nutritionist said something in the house was poisoning me so I should test for mold first. Well, my ex wrote as gentle a note as we could asking for mold testing and we got back a vicious illegal eviction notice. I had city codes come over and we again wrote a gentle request and again got back a vicious eviction threat. So the city cited them and then they wrote an incredibly inflammatory letter against me, which bragged of cyberstalking me on a medical site, to the city, saying I had manipulated the city. Then after they talked to a lawyer I got a nice letter called "retraction" saying they did not want to seem retaliatory. I have consulted a lawyer who believes the content of the letter is so malicious that it will be considered retailiatory even after my safe time is over. Everyone else is telling me to move and get away from these creeps but the rents in coastal california are impossible and I will need to leave and rent an apt. somewhere. What will I do about the landlord? reference?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. What is it that you want to know?

This seems like a very serious situation for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might better suit your needs. If you are interested, I can offer you a phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread. I will make that offer to you after I get this posted to your question thread. All you need do is accept the offer if you would like me to call.

Thanks in advance,

Doug
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What I am asking is what to do if I cannot get a good ex landlord rental reference, though I have been a good tenant.

I have been worried of being evicted and am consulting a lawyer.

I want you advice as to how to over come the reference letter problem.

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your clarification.

I would think that based on the way that they have treated you that it has perhaps been retaliatory and that you might negotiate with them---you will agree to leave and not to sue them for Harassment and retaliation of they agree to give you a good reference in writing and agree that if ever contacted that they will not malign you as a tenant.

The further in time you move from the actual time that they harassed and retaliated against you, the more difficult it will become to reach an agreement with them to classify you as a good tenant. So that needs to be done as soon as possible.

If you choose to instead try to stay there, you will almost certainly lose the leverage you have to demand a good reference letter and if they eventually are able to get you out, or you voluntarily leave, you can expect that they will take it out on you and refuse to provide a reference that will assist you in getting another rental in the area.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug