barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for over 15 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

I rented a condo in Naples Florida month of April.

Customer Question

I rented a condo in Naples Florida for the month of April. I paid the landlord $2,500.00 for the month and paidna $500.00 deposit. The landlord will not return my deposit because thsere was a nickel size stain on a chair arm and a scratch on her wall. She indicated that i had a dog on the premises, but nit was her shedding wool rugs. The condo was cleaned by me, floors and carpet vacuumed, sheets washed and changed, etc. What recourse don in have? She is at home in Powell, Ohio and I am ion Aurora, Ohio. Help!
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
In a situation like this, if you are disputing any damage claims, your recourse is to file suit against her in small claims court and force her to prove her damages.
.
She would have to prove to the judge that any damages weren't pre-existing when you took possession, usually by photos of the areas. If she can't show what the property looked like before you took possession, then she will have a hard time proving that she was justified in retaining any deposit.
.
You don't need an attorney and the clerk will have the summons and complaint forms you need to file to start the case. In addition to your damages, you can also recover your court costs.
.
.
thanks