Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.
10285032

I don't know if I have a case or not but here goes:I moved

Customer Question

I don't know if I have a case or not but here goes:
I moved into my apartment in 8/2014. My apartment complex said that all my fees would be charged online through their online portal. For about six months, I paid rent and a couple other fees that did not have a name associated with them and I assumed it was electric, water/sewage. After six months, the apartment manager says that they have been paying for my electricity and to make sure I get Pepco changed into my name. I asked, "How was I supposed to know to do that?" They said that it was in my welcome letter that they sent through email. I keep my emails, and I found the email that said there was a welcome letter attached, but there was none. I never received that letter. I told the apartment manager, and she said that I would not be responsible because it was on them.
I then contacted PEPCO to get the service in my name. They charged me for my current apartment and an apartment in DC where they think I vacated. I moved from a city in Virginia that is 3 hours from this area not D.C. I had to call PEPCO every week for three weeks for them to do an investigation. After six weeks, part of that research was to ask me for a proof of residence. I sent them a copy of my lease and apparently they saw that I moved in August 2014, now I have a bill for $706.92. My apartment complex has already paid PEPCO. Now PEPCO is charging me for that same interval of time. The apartment complex manager told me that I would not be charged for something that was not my fault. I dread having to continue to deal with PEPCO. They can't even call an apartment complex in DC to figure out if I was a resident or not. How are they going ever to get to the bottom of this? I feel like I am being bullied by a big corporation with a bunch of disgruntled employees who have no desire to help me. This is taxing and worrisome. I am very busy at work and I don't have the time to keep calling PEPCO. They are never available. I call them then they call me back at some inopportune time when I'm working. I know I look so unprofessional to my clients when I have to step out to take a personal phone call. I feel that I have no choice but to speak to a lawyer. This experience has been the absolute worst one that I have had with a company.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If they are seeking to charge you for something that is not your debt, you have the right to first file a complaint with the public utilities commission to have them intervene and try to get PEPCO to drop their claim. If the public utilities commission cannot resolve the dispute, you will have to file suit against PEPCO since this seems to be where the issue is. You can sue them in small claims court without an attorney and in most of these cases, because the amount in dispute is so low, once you sue they will want to settle.