Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Experience representing landlords and tenants.
11313492

Just receipt a debt collection in mail today. First time I

Customer Question

just receipt a debt collection in mail today. First time I heard of this. Creditor is property management company from apartment that I moved out of in JUly 2014. Have NO idea what the debt is for. RTeally want to dispute this.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
Hello, you are entitled to proof of debt. Demand it in writing. Often can work out a settlement for a reduced amount after validating debt.
Creditor cannot pursue it without confirming the debt. You have a few options. Let me outline them. You can pursue a complaint in civil court. You may sue for losses suffered plus costs and interest. You can also file a complaint with the attorney general office. You can threaten these options before pursuing and use for leverage. local counsel can also get involved!
martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. Good luck. Kindly rate the answer OK or higher.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
Very welcome. Kindly press on a positive rating.