Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 30 years of experience representing landlords and tenants.
17897874

I co-signed a lease agreement son based on an employment

Customer Question

I co-signed a lease agreement for my son based on an employment verification form. His employer terminated him three days after the lease agreement. The termination was not for specific error. If they were going to terminate him why sign the form. And now I am on the hook for over $20,000
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you today.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
If you cosigned the lease then you are liable for the obligations if your son breaches the lease. However, if a new tenant is founf then that would cut off the liability to the extent the new tenant pays at least the same amount in rent.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Additionally, the landlord has an affirmative duty to mitigate damages if there is a breach.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the employer have any liability for employment verification
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for following up with me.
No, the status of a tenant's employment and the landlord's inquiry would have no relevance with respect to a consignor's liability.
Whether the landlord confirms employment is up to them. There is no duty to do so.
Best regards.
If you have no further questions, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.