insearchoftheanswer
insearchoftheanswer, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer; developer/owner of RE developments.
17027240

Richard, I got your advice earlier about evicting my mothers

Customer Question

Richard, I got your advice earlier about evicting my mothers tenant who rented a room from her. We have the 30 day notice. On day 30 when he still had not left we have him his 14 day notice to quit. He told us he would be leaving before the 14 day notice was up. Today he came to us asking us to give him a note with a reason on it. My mother mentioned to him in normal conversation that she wanted the room for herself being she is sick and wants to stay in her own room. He wants her to write a note stating he was asked to leave due to her medical condition so it will help him get housing thru action. I don't trust that he isn't going to try and use it against us and don't know what we should do.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  insearchoftheanswer replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. As long as the termination is not based on an illegal discrimination...race, religion, ethnicity, etc.....you can for any reason. It is possible that a prospective landlord might want support for the reason to terminate. So, it would not impact her adversely if she provided him with this note. But, and I don't have your original question, if there are other problems with him as a tenant, she might want to decline so as not to imply to a future landlord that there were no issues with this tenant which resulted in the termination.