Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

I signed a home rental lease effective 4/1/15. I was moving

Customer Question

I signed a home rental lease effective 4/1/15. I was moving from another area, came to town for the move-in inspection and lease signing on 4/15/15 and noted many problems, including possible mold and a very filthy home, all of which should have been addressed before 4/1. Emailed prop manger on 4/16 re mold, filth, door security and miscellaneous maintenance issues. Was assured by prop management team home would be cleaned, concerns addressed and maintenance items attended to by 4/23. Arrived in town for move-in on 4/26. Mold and grime prolific, many maintenance issues promised were not fixed, including door security. Wrote prop manager the morning of 5/8 requesting personal meeting on Monday or Tuesday (prior emails ineffective), concern about mold and whether an inspection had ever been done, and requesting permission to rent pressure washer and purchase cleaning supplies for mold and mildew in advance of a child with allergies staying with me over the weekend. No response. Finally a response on 5/11 after 5 p.m. (post weekend visit) saying that my email has been reviewed and the fact that the home had "dust" noted. No reply re meeting request, cleaning supplies eimbursement, or any reference whatsoever to my mold concerns. On my end, all security deposits and April, May rent paid on time and in advance of tenancy. Why are they ignoring my mold concerns, isn't there anything I can do to get a response to this health concern? Thank you.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good evening,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.
1. Was the agreement by management that they would do the cleaning and make the repairs put in writing to you---such as in an email?
This seems like a very serious situation for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might better suit your needs. If you are interested, I can offer you a phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread. I will make that offer to you after I get this posted to your question thread. All you need do is accept the offer if you would like me to call.
Thanks in advance,
Doug