Tina, Attorney
Experience:  17 years legal experience including landlord/tenant law.
4460311

I leased a property years to a tenant who paid very well

Customer Question

I leased a property for 3 years to a tenant who paid very well for 14 months. Then no rent and when I made contact it was promised to be caught up at next rent. Again no rent and I could not get in touch with her. I then started eviction and just before the hearing her son phoned me and wanted to pay the back rent and stay. I said I would try it but the property must have good care and the rent on time. Now they are behind $1400.00 and there is damage to the property and it is not being taken care of. I want them out very badly. What is the best way to proceed ?. The original tenant has furnishings left over but she has abandoned the lease and and I do not know what rights the people have ( her son )
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:
In which state is the property located?
I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Michigan
Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.
I see.
What you would typically need to do under these circumstances is to initiate the eviction process by providing a notice to the occupants to pay or quit.
Here is a link to a form which can be used to provide such notice:
http://courts.mi.gov/Administration/SCAO/Forms/courtforms/landlord-tenantlandcontract/dc100a.pdf
The notice should be addressed to the tenant as well as all occupants typically so an order of eviction will be entered against anyone living there, not just the tenant with whom you had the lease agreement.
Here is a link which summarizes the eviction process for your reference:
http://www.michiganlegalaid.org/library_client/housing/eviction/html_view
I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate my service when I have answered your questions so I will be compensated for my time assisting you. Thank you!