Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

Believe my landlord is going to pay a forensic handwriting

Customer Question

believe my landlord is going to pay a forensic handwriting expert to lie under oath , and testify , with written opinion against what my handwriting expert determination , re; me committing forgery .
i have a lease from 2 years ago and the landlord signed it twice and initials 4 times .
the landlord is saying the initials are not his , but they are 100% his.
and my forensic handwriting expert confirmed it .
but my landlord knows he signed those initials , and will lose in court , but i heard
my landlord might be getting his own forensic handwriting expert to say different
, by paying him extra monies to make my expert opinion look wrong in his determination , and making me look like a forger
is there anyway i can go after this fraudulent handwriting expert if it happens , and what agency can i report this fraudulent scheme too .
also what can i do to make the judge believe that i am not a forger .
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
When there are contrasting experts testifying as to a different conclusion, the it is up to the judge to then make his own decision considering that and any other evidence presented in the case. All a handwriting expert is is someone who is trained to compare signatures and look for similarities and differences in a signature. There is no way to prove with 100% accuracy whether a signature is genuine or a forgery, so the other expert may be focusing more on any differences in the signature or initials while your expert focuses on the similarity.
.
So it isn't unusual for opposing side's experts to testify differently depending on who is paying them...Happens every day in court.
.
If the landord's expert can cast enough doubt on the writing, then the judge will be forced to rely on other evidence, such as testimony, witnesses, and other circumstantial evidence such as motive to lie.
.
But as for going after the other expert or reporting him to someone, the other expert is just doing what he is being paid to do... and that is cast doubt on your expert's opinion with his own expert opinion. So you can't report someone for expressing their opinion and especially for two opposing expert witnesses having opposing conclusions.
.
However, at this point, you don't even know if the landlord is going to spend the money to hire his own expert so this is all likely a little premature.
.
.
thanks
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
I see the other expert, who is extremely knowledgeable, opted out. Did you have additional questions?